Foreigners who are going to stay in Turkey longer than with a visa or visa exemption have to fill in a form personally before their visa ends at the local police station in order to apply for an residence permit. Foreigners who make this application will get “a residence permit for foreigners” and their stay in Turkey got legalized. Foreigners who came to Turkey with a special visa like a work permit, study permit, investigation permit have to apply within one month to get a residence permit.
Foreigners who applied for a residence permit have to prove that they have enough financial possibilities, an income to cover their expenses during their stay in Turkey. Foreigners who received a residence permit can go abroad and come back using their residence permit as long as its validity period.
1) Residence permit period;
- The residence permit period given to foreigners depend on bilateral agreements between the countries as well as the related regulations, and the applicants demand is also considered.
- The maximal residence permit period takes (5) five years.
- Residence permits which validity period had expired can be extended the most four times.
- According the principle of reciprocity this period; and to confer on the foreign ministry (department of state) the ministry of internal affairs can extend or shorten this period.
- A residence permit is individual given but married couples and their children under 18 years old could apply separately for a residence permit or with the consent of their parents a collective residence permit could be arranged.
- Working people have to apply individually for a residence permit.
2) Application period;
- Foreigners who want to renew their residence permits or who want to extend the validity period in Turkey has to apply within fifteen days after expiring date to the local police station.
- Those who apply for a residence permit the 1st time: have to apply before their visa or visa exemption period expires. Foreigners who didn’t apply within the legal application period have to pay a penalty dating from expire date.
- Foreigners who had applied for a residence permit and wanted to extend them:
- Foreigners who want to extend the validity period of their residence permit have to apply within (15) fifteen days after expiring date to the local police station. The ones who apply after this period have to pay a penalty after the 16th day.
3) The renewal or validity period extension of a residence permit;
- A residence permit can be extended maximal four times.
- Foreigners who had applied for a residence permit and suspend them can’t extend them later; they have to renew their residence permit.
4) Foreigners who lose their residence permit:
- Foreigners who lose their residence permit have to apply immediately to the relevant authority to get a new one.
- Foreigners in this case will get their new residence permit with the same expire date.
- For the lost residence permits the applicants have to pay the half of the legal fee according the fee law item 492.
5) If you didn’t apply for a residence permit:
- According the foreigners accommodation and travel law item 5683 when they stay illegal (without a legal permit) in Turkey they have to pay a penalty while leaving the country according the fee law item 492.
- Foreigners who stayed illegal in Turkey will also get an exclusion order according the period they stayed in Turkey.
- Information received from EGM (General Directorate of Security)